Its important to keep safe when you are going on a remote trip your family and kids and there are a few things you can do to prepare for an off-road adventure.
preparing FOR REMOTE TRAVEL
Australia is a vast and often harsh country and there are many exciting and isolated places waiting to be explored. Remote travel is something not to be taken lightly as it requires a lot of research, preparation, skill and experience. If you are planning on taking children with you, it is even more imperative to consider their safety as well as your own.
Prior to undertaking a journey of this nature, there are many things that need to be considered. Do your own research, reading and preparation. Here are some of the things we do to prepare and pack for a remote trip.
1. Car serviced and all accessories functioning properly
2. Navigation, GPS and maps
3. Spares for car and comprehensive tool kit
4. First aid
5. Tent and bedding
6. Cooking and food
7. Clothing - extras if it gets cold at night
8. Water - drinking, washing and cleaning
9. Fuel - emergency supply plus know fuel supplies and opening times
10. Recovery gear
11. Communication - UHF radio, 3G mobile phone, EPIRB, satellite phone
12. Extra batteries and solar power units
13. Permits for access to roads and parks
14. Electrical equipment - Computer, camera, batteries, chargers and inverter
15. Itinerary - Provide travel plan to friend or family so they know where you are and stay in contact
16. Seasons – plan trip to visit at optimal times (avoid cyclone season, severe heat and cold)
17. Pack for emergencies – take more food, fuel and water than required